Monday 11 May 2015

Unsung heroes (and heroines)

superheroesOver the weekend, as I struggled with some pain from the offending damaged offal (AKA my liver), and was forced to rest, I watched yet again as my other half  moved seamlessly from one household job to another as he has done for the last year.  He’s taken on the care of both house and inhabitants cheerfully and without a moan, whilst continuing to run his businesss, giving me the time to recuperate and do the relaxing things I want to do during the day.  I try not to express any particular wishes as he’ll inevitably conjure them up (as per the veg planters this weekend; my passing comment about growing some veg again in pots resulted in a whole patio of brilliant planters!) During my worst days, when I’ve lost both my appetite and tastebuds, Mr A has cooked no less than three dinners in one evening in an effort to find something I could eat and enjoy.  That’s love for you.

From Land’s End to John O’Groats and indeed, around the whole continent, there are people who are unselfishly caring for loved ones, day in and day out, without a second thought.  They do it out of love and without them, people like myself wouldn’t be able to enjoy day to day life in the way we can.

Being at home, Nathan gets to see all the crap stuff (sorry Nathan xx) and does all he can to make sure I’m ok.  Leah and Hannah provide all the support I need and are there at the drop of a hat and there are no words to convey how much our children mean to us during this rollercoaster ride.  How people manage without a family behind them, I’ll never know and my heart goes out to them.  I know I couldn’t go through this without the love and support I’ve had from day one.  When we said our vows back in 1980, who could have envisaged that “in sickness and in health” would come to mean so much?

So, to all those unsung heroes and heroines out there, know that you’re appreciated for everything you do and thank you ……

No comments:

Post a Comment